Sunday, March 23, 2008

Potential Energy

Sometimes when I am observing, let's say, a political debate...I'll realize that I don't have enough information to really form an opinion or to even know what I think, in depth, on a particular issue. It has nothing to do with my capacity for understanding but rather the lack of possessing enough data in that arena. I also realize that if I took the time to gain more knowledge and information on a given topic, that it will allow me to help to foster greater understanding. I would be prepared to offer my view, to try to see the "bigger picture" by looking at all sides, to form analogies where analogies might not have been created and to perhaps fuel epiphanies for both myself and others. I feel I have the potential to do that and that this is where my part as an instrument also comes in but first I must process more information on a given subject. In order to really think about something on your own requires more information to work with. There's so much to absorb.

When I think of how much there is to learn, it can be overwhelming...but I also think it's amazing and inspiring. I feel this way when I enter bookstores or libraries. I feel this intense sense of urgency...like I just want to open up the top of my head and dump everything inside all at once.

But of course that's not possible. I do, however, tend to prefer the autodidactic approach when it comes to learning and seek and use resources accordingly. A good place to start would be to make a list of books I'd like to read and order them through Amazon...and check off items on that list as I complete each book. I also don't strive to just read or know about things I am comfortable or agree with. You can't gain understanding and and cultivate and gain awareness by doing that.

This would fit well into the idea of doing and learning something new -every- day.

Why not utilize potential energy? I don't think most people do in a progressive sense. We get wrapped up in so many mundane and petty dramas. It's blinding. It's distracting and over the span of our lives, it might tragic and wasteful.

No comments: