Monday, April 28, 2008

You Are My Everything

Should we look to fulfill all or most of our needs in a romantic partner? I've thought about this intermittently over the years and I think it's healthy to develop at least a few friendships to satisfy different bonding needs.

I think of my relationship with my fiancé and I realize that although we have a lot of uncanny things in common and there are some differences which balance us out, there are things we just won't ever really relate to the same way.

For example, I am a very spiritual non-religious person and my fiancé is what you would call an agnostic-atheist. He generally is of the mindset that if something can't be seen or proven, then it probably doesn't exist in a metaphysical context or it doesn't exist at all. With that being said, he still remains open to ideas and other realities which makes him willing to explore to some degree. Just not to the degree I naturally wish to and do often explore.

Should I hold this against my fiancé and consider our otherwise strong level of compatibility a wash? Of course not. It's not like he's a radical hardcore atheist and I a fundamentalist religious person. I know we often hear the term opposites attractive but I don't take this too literally and I think it's taken out of context quite often. Opposites attract when partners bring different inclinations and traits to the table that balance one another.

The aforementioned pairing would not work because both people are too set in their ways and would naturally try to proselytize to the other. The relationship would cease to grow. In my relationship with my fiancé, we do have a lot of ground to work with but I think it would be healthy for me to be open to cultivating friendships with people who can relate to my brand and level of spiritualism more strongly.

These friendships would only add more enrichment to my life and I'd continue to appreciate the bond I have with my partner rather than expecting him to literally and unrealistically be a duplicate of myself. No one could ever satisfy such expectations.

You are fortunate if you've truly found your partner in crime, but don't forget to come up for air and explore the waiting and rewarding connections in the world around you. Opening yourself up to other energies outside of your relationship once in awhile is what can truly make you see your partner as "your everything".

No comments: