Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Glorious Gestures

Very delicate, gorgeous, symbolic, ornate and fluidly creative expressions:

Official Website

I find these photographs rather inspirational.

Jacob's Ladder has been available on On Demand for awhile...and I decided to see this film again as it's one of my favorites. I love how allegorical the movie is. There's a quote that I find very striking in the film. It also happens to be used in the song "These Shattered Falling" by Oneiroid Psychosis:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."


I think you can apply this quote to so many different kinds of struggles and life themes. I am thinking of the struggle that most people have with gaining motivation and confidence in themselves. Everything in life can appear to be hell-like...teeming with taunting and destructive devils waiting around each corner and gracing each path, but if the perspective is changed somehow, suddenly the environment turns into an elaborate and vast heavenly playground...full of opportunities, possibilities, curiosities...and angels, rather than devils, that function as muses.

This brings me to the topic of...

Performance vs. Spectatorship (see Inspiration & Competition)

I want to write more about this but I am a bit quartered at the moment...in a good way. I also think it's important for me to get off the comp for awhile and relax in bed to television until I eventually fall asleep. I've been staying up way too late these days within the last week because there are so many things I've been working on and doing. It's important to get up early enough in the day so that more can get more done...and there's time later to relax more.

No comments: