Saturday, March 22, 2008

Let It Flow

Regarding Madeleine L'Engle:

She's one of my long-time favorite authors. I totally wasn't aware of her passing last year. She was certainly along in years but this is still a surprise.

Shows how often I pay attention to the outside world at times...

In a sense I do but I don't. I am so caught up in carving out my own path and carrying my voice.

I have a lot of writing pieces from my past all scattered about in my room and the house in various notebooks, tablets and folders. They should all be located, organized and updated (if applicable) and then rewritten within word documents. It's fascinating to look back at writing that I did several years ago and observe how I expressed myself then compared to now. There are several unfinished stories, both short and long that I totally forgot about until now, since I've been giving more thought and development to my current writing project.

I think I was able to focus on my writing in a very fluid manner because it wasn't ambitious...it was just expressive. In the last couple of days, I struggled with a bit of frustration toward my writing. That familiar blocked feeling made itself present and I tried working through it by finding out what was at the source. The source was impatience, great expectations and urgency. None of these feelings promote a creative flow. I just wind up choking.

I feel better about getting to the root and examining my frustration because it's very self-imposed. I realize that some things are going to take some time especially if so many details and ideas are involved. For example, it took J.K. Rowling 5 years to write her first book in the Harry Potter series although the ideas came to her quickly on a train. She wanted to get published but for the most part, felt a need to write and get her characters and story out of her mind.

I am trying to do that and it is helping. I've managed to come up with more details about the origins of Pink Laughter Kingdom, the plot, more characters as well as epic roles that main characters will play as the story evolves. I also try to write daily or at least frequently. If I don't do any writing for the day with my story, then I try to keep myself in spirit of writing by blogging and spitting out experimental work. I hadn't really looked into what "experimental writing" until recently. I had this common-sense-notion of what kind of writing would fit in genre and I was curious about where some of my writing fit. Some writing that I do would not be classified as poetry or prose but rather short descriptive and often metaphorical settings, scenes and interactions. Experimental writing seems like the most suited category especially since the often-vaguely-described genre includes writing fragmentations.

As for my current writing project, I'll concern myself with the business side of things later. I'll still have my goals and they will be considered to some degree, but they aren't going to be the leading motivation...for now. Just writing.

I managed to get to the gym yesterday morning at 5 am. As I wrote before, my gym opens at this time. I was dead wrong in assuming that the place would have very few people there at that hour. So wrong that I had to find a parking space on the 4th floor. It makes sense. The gym is expensive and there are probably many working professionals who prefer to do their workouts in the morning before hitting work. Early birds and risers...although I'd consider myself an early drifter. And speaking of expensive, that is another good reason for me to start going regularly again. I pay 80 dollars a month at this place and if I don't go, I might as well consider the place a source of charity.

No comments: