Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Food Shortages and Rationing

Wow. Are we just overreacting or do we, as a society, really need to start stocking up on food supplies because the economy is getting that bad? I’ve read that some stores are also starting to accept haggling and bargaining from customers for better product prices.

LINK

Interestingly enough, I just came back from Costco about an hour ago. I've been buying several cases of strawberries from them for the last few weeks and today I added some blackberries to my cart. I am currently enjoying a large bowl of mixed berries; sweet and tangy. I so love fruit.

But fruits and everything else are becoming more expensive. That's one of the reasons why I've been getting my berries from Costco...the strawberries are just 4.99 a case whereas at regular supermarkets, the cases are half the size, cost twice as much and the berries are usually tasteless and sour.

Rice prices are definitely out of control. I actually prefer the jasmine rice and that's what I usually by. The taste and aroma of the rice slightly reminds me of popcorn. I purchased a large bag of it few days ago from Pavilions. I like the flavor over plain steamed white rice. That's too bad that supplies are being cut short for so many items and prices are surging.

I can imagine how this will affect the cost of food at various eateries that prepare and offer meals using a lot of rice. I bet a lot of people will be eating out less in the next fear years as our economy continues to struggle.

I came across an article the other day which stated that the slow food lifestyle is coming back around due to all of these changes. Not just in the U.S. but also in various parts of Asia. I love dining out and I don't think there's anything wrong with doing it once in awhile, but I've always appreciated and loved preparing a home-cooked meal. I think a lot of people should either learn how to cook or cook more than they do and not rely so much on eating out. The closer we are to preparing our meals, the more we can appreciate and feel rewarded by what we eat.

1 comment:

Book Calendar said...

Gas prices are affecting food prices. It costs a lot of diesel to run tractors and other farming equipment.