Wednesday, April 23, 2008

On The Definition of Cheating

Cheating...well everyone certainly has their own definition of what cheating is to them. I've heard some crazy ones though.

I am pretty direct and to the point about cheating. I've never experienced this and I'd certainly never cheat (I can say that confidently). I have no tolerance for it. I figure there are -always- better ways to handle a situation if my partner feels disconnected, wants to step outside of the relationship or has other desires. They can communicate to me and let me know what is going on. That's not an easy thing to hear or to express, but it is always a better alternative to cheating.

Cheating to me is when:



  1. my partner sleeps with someone else

  2. my partner kisses someone else in a romantic or sexual manner or -lets- someone else do this to them

  3. my partner fondles or gropes someone else or -lets- someone do these things to them

  4. my partner makes efforts to get involved emotionally with someone else (love letters, phone calls, meetings, etc)

  5. my partner is in love with someone else and encourages the associated feelings and connection

  6. my partner goes online and uses dating sites or matchmaking services



Any of these things would fit into my definition of cheating. I can respect the decision of others to have an open relationship or one that is polyamorous in nature. There's no "cheating" going on in those kinds of relationships if both people have an understanding from the beginning. I have a strong curiosity with learning about the relationship styles of others because it's different from what I prefer or desire. However, I know relationships like that aren't for me because I am wired differently. I prefer monogamy and my desire to be so has nothing to do with morals or ethics. Ethics only comes into play if a breach of trust is broken and there's a lack of integrity involved.

I think if someone feels that they can't commit to a relationship, then they need to be honest about and live according to those desires. Let people know from the jump if you aren't looking for anything serious. Don't string people along. Don't play games or manipulate for ego-gratifying purposes. Set boundaries in casual connections. Get involved with people who are looking for the same thing. Explore other types of relationships that allow you to be with more than one person. Stay single and figure out what you want ultimately. Whatever it is...figure it out and be honest and direct.

I think cheating is most likely to happen when communication is dead or severely limited between two people...or if one or both people are "stuffers" or "internalizers". Emotions get swept under the rug and there's no desire a person's part to find out what they or their partner feels because it's awkward, perceived as weak and vulnerable, something they've never been used to or there's a fear with laying things out on the table (used to avoiding conflict and directness).

I also think a lack of mutual vulnerability (openness) is damaging and threatening and it must be nipped in the bud early on. Being able to be vulnerable or open with a partner...or feeling like you CAN be...facilitates a desire to communicate and be a relationship team. Lack of vulnerability creates power struggles, resentment, manipulation games and posturing.

If you feel like you can't open up to your partner, then you both start to conspire against one another. Both people feel suspicious about the other closing up and "hiding" information or their feelings. Both partners (or one person feel) feel like they are misunderstood and not listened to, which creates posturing. Posturing is when the person puts up a front to pretend that they are stronger or more secure than they are feeling inside. Anger replaces expressions of hurt because to cry or to show sadness is to appear weak to the "enemy" (the mistrusted one).

So with all of this toxic stuff happening...the relationship becomes a strong breeding ground for cheating/affairs although none of that will solve anything even if one or both people go on to other relationships. Not unless there's some learning going on.

These are very common dramas in relationships and most people lack the courage to address these things head on. Relationships certainly present growth challenges and mirror dynamics.

Some people cheat for the thrill and the pursuit...to see what they can get away with...to establish a world within a world that only they and their lover(s) know about when they meet at their secret times and places. So it's not always about an emotional connection or to get away from a mess in cowardice. Of course, if a person who craved this didn't do it in the confines of a relationship, the affairs wouldn't have mystery or a sense of adventure to it. They get off on daring liaisons. I think the only remedy here is for the other person to always pay attention to the person they are committing too. Study their personality and character closely.

Rarely does a person like this neglect dropping hints or revealing him/herself in some manner over time. No one is that good of an actor. There's always a clue.

No comments: